Location - Bunker in the Reinhardtstraße
INSIDEOUT opens up a bunker as a centre for contemporary art
The building which will host the festival, an above-ground bunker in the Reinhardtstraße, has survived to the present day wholly intact.
Constructed as part of the "Führer's special programme" under the direction of Albert Speer at the beginning of the 1940's, the structure served during the Second World War as protection against air raids. The legendary Berlin techno club "Bunker" occupied the building between 1990 and 1995. Closed by the authorities in December 1995, it will now once again be open to the public as an exhibition space for contemporary art.
The current owner Nippon Development Corporation is determined in the longer term to develop the bunker into an important cultural venue.
|Images||History of the Bunker|